Company issued 1099-B, What form do I us to report proceeds? It has sale date but not what each was sold for or do I just report proceeds?

asked 23 Feb '11, 01:51

Iri's gravatar image

accept rate: 0%

Hi Iri,

For the purpose of my answer, I will assume that you have sold shares of stock.

Proceeds reported on Form 1099-B (Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions) are listed on Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses):

NO, you do not simply report the proceeds. A cost basis of zero would result in a gain of the entire amount of the proceeds! This could be costly.

You always want to calculate your gain or loss properly, so accurate information is necessary. If you are unclear on how much you purchased the stock for, you will need to review your records (brokerage statements, trade confirmations, or year-end statements, etc.), as well as consult with your broker or financial advisor.

Please also see IRS Pub 550 (Investment Income and Expenses):

This can be complicated at times, so you may want to seek the advice and review of a tax professional before you complete your return.

Best of Luck!


answered 23 Feb '11, 06:53

Kristy%20M.%20W.'s gravatar image

Kristy M. W.
accept rate: 4%

edited 23 Feb '11, 06:58

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text]( "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: 23 Feb '11, 01:51

Seen: 1,205 times

Last updated: 23 Feb '11, 06:58